1. Be focused and on topic
2. Write compelling, click- and share-worthy titles
Formula: How to [Do Something Specific]
Example: How to Write Compelling Blog Post Titles
Formula: [Number] [Tips, Tricks, Ideas, etc.] to [Accomplish Something Specific]
Example: 10 Tips for Writing Compelling Blog Post Titles
The Ultimate Guide
Formula: The Ultimate Guide to [Topic]
Example: The Ultimate Guide to Writing Compelling Blog Post Titles You can find a list of several more title formulas here.
3. Use proven storytelling techniques
In Media Res
4. Leverage story archetypes
Overcoming the Monster
Rags to Riches
5. Use tried and true article types
How to Guide
- You provide your audience with a curated list of valuable advice from several points of view.
- Potentially, you can gain exposure to a larger audience when those you quote like and/or mention your post.
- Decide on a specific theme or question that the post will focus on.
- Collect quotes from experts that address that theme or question. These quotes can be found on the internet (cite your sources) or you can interview your experts with a quick one question email interview.
- Collate and organize the information you’ve gathered into a curated list. Be sure to identify and link back to the experts so that you get some search engine juice from mentioning them in your post.
- When you share the post in social media, tag the experts. A best practice is to highlight one expert per post, so the more experts you include, the more posts you’ll have to share, which means you’ll be able to share this post over the course of several days or even weeks. This gives it even more search engine juice.
- Experts you admire
- Your fans
- Characters in your stories
- Experts you’ve interviewed as part of your research for your book
- Authors of books you’ve reviewed
6. Write for scanners — keep paragraphs short
7. Use design tricks to keep people on the page
8. Write for your audience
- Reading level – Don’t write over or below their head. You don’t want to write in jargon they don’t understand, but you don’t want to treat them like idiots, either.
- Tone and style – Maintain a consistent voice throughout your website. This is one way you keep your brand promise.